The World Celebrates Rabbi Marcia Prager

Rabbi Marcia Prager, an inspirational Jewish Renewal spiritual leader, teacher, guide, and colleague, has become a model for a new generation of lay and professional leadership. Through her, many of us have forged an intimate, passionate relationship with Judaism, with the divine in all of us, and thus, with each other.

The P'nai Or Philadelphia Jewish Renewal community is grateful that in 5772 (2011) R. Marcia celebrated 18 years of serving as our Rabbi-Chaver. In her honor, friends from around the world shared these many stories, poems, and loving tributes, to show our gratitude and naches at this wonderful milestone!



Reaching Out

The location is Elat Chayyim in Accord, NY.  It is Kabbalat Shabbat and 100-150 of us are gathered in the white tent in the meadow across the road from the main lodge.  Reb Marcia and Cantor Jack are leading services and the energy is just starting to rise.  Smiling, I observe to my husband that the whole set up looks like a Jewish style revival tent. 

Reb Marcia is chanting and leading a version of Maariv Aravim that I've never heard before.  She extends her left hand out and to the side.  It looks to me as though she wants someone to take her hand and start to form a circle.  I'm looking around.  No one else notices that her hand is extended.  No one steps forward to take her hand.  Am I mistaken?  No, her hand is still extended.  She is definitely reaching out and looking around.  No one else notices.  I don't like seeing her reaching out with no one responding.  So I hop up out of my seat and take hold of her hand and extend my left hand.  No one takes my hand either.  The music is filling the tent.  The sound is reverberating magnificently.   I close my eyes and let my hand relax. 
  
I'm transported. 

I feel like I'm in a cathedral.   I'm in a huge wood-beamed cathedral and some kind of Mass is being celebrated.  Reb Marcia is the abbess and she is holding my hand.  I'm a young nun taking vows, committing myself to a spiritual life.  The singing is the choir of the cathedral at the Mass for the novitiates and I am one among them, taking my turn in the front of the cathedral.  I'm ecstatic and weeping.  Slowly, the chant draws to a close.  I open my eyes to the white fabric of the Elat Chayyim 'revival' tent.  I stumble out of the tent, into a friend's arms who holds me until I slowly come back into present time awareness.




No comments:

Post a Comment