The World Celebrates Rabbi Marcia Prager

Rabbi Marcia Prager, an inspirational Jewish Renewal spiritual leader, teacher, guide, and colleague, has become a model for a new generation of lay and professional leadership. Through her, many of us have forged an intimate, passionate relationship with Judaism, with the divine in all of us, and thus, with each other.

The P'nai Or Philadelphia Jewish Renewal community is grateful that in 5772 (2011) R. Marcia celebrated 18 years of serving as our Rabbi-Chaver. In her honor, friends from around the world shared these many stories, poems, and loving tributes, to show our gratitude and naches at this wonderful milestone!



Inspiring Radical Shifts

 In 1999 I went to my second Kallah.  With some of my close friends and chevruta from Santa Cruz, we asked to join the circle of smicha students as people who might be interested in joining the ALEPH program.  We also spoke with Reb Marcia about joining the program.  I was a practicing and successful attorney at the time, considering a pretty radical career shift.

Reb Marcia told all of us -- don't do this (become a rabbi) unless you feel you have no other choice, because it is sometimes very difficult to live this life.

In the past twelve years, as I made my way into and through the ALEPH Rabbinical Program and completed my career shift, I have reflected on her words many times and found them comforting and inspirational.  Every time I've had a difficult moment, and there have been some doozies, I've thought -- no, I had no other choice.

From the 1997 Kallah when I took her Opening the Gates of Spirituality class, through DLTI, the Lifecycles class and the many conversations we have had over the years, Reb Marcia has been one of my most important teachers.

Mazal tov on your chai anniversary!

 Brachot rabot, Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment