The World Celebrates Rabbi Marcia Prager

Rabbi Marcia Prager, an inspirational Jewish Renewal spiritual leader, teacher, guide, and colleague, has become a model for a new generation of lay and professional leadership. Through her, many of us have forged an intimate, passionate relationship with Judaism, with the divine in all of us, and thus, with each other.

The P'nai Or Philadelphia Jewish Renewal community is grateful that in 5772 (2011) R. Marcia celebrated 18 years of serving as our Rabbi-Chaver. In her honor, friends from around the world shared these many stories, poems, and loving tributes, to show our gratitude and naches at this wonderful milestone!



Exchanging Truth

To Reb Marcia with huge gratitude...

Reb Marcia Prager has been not only the official Dean for the ALEPH Rabbinical students, but kind of a Mommy bird guiding her chicks till they could fly on their own.

Every time I offer a blessing that makes a heart connection between Torah verses just chanted and the people who have been called up for that Aliyah, I am drawing on the inspiring example of Reb Marcia.

Every time I "open up" the Chuppah and include the wedding guests so they feel included by a sweep of the arm or a blessing to which they can call out "Amen" I smile inwardly, thanking Reb Marcia for our role plays of life cycle ceremonies.

Every time I counsel a congregant or even a stranger by listening to the question beneath the question and allow an exchange of truth, I thank Reb Marcia, and through her, Reb Zalman, for modeling compassionate, active listening.

Every time I feel pride in my students' ability to lead parts of the service, I think of Reb Marcia smiling happily with her eyes closed as she kvelled over our experiments and efforts in leading prayers. And she allowed herself to pray at those services rather than being critical, although she would have helpful comments later.  At such times, at the periodic services led by congregants in my synagogue, I think of her, close my eyes and go inside the prayers, never mind how the person is choosing to present them. 

Every time I get a creative idea and try something new I think of Reb Marcia and how encouraging she has always been of my creativity, and without apology, I go forward and spread my wings a little further.

Reb Marcia, may you go from strength to strength, including so many students, colleagues, and members of a much wider community within your embrace.  May you feel a deep sense of satisfaction that you have touched many souls, and helped them along their own spiritual path.

with hugs, love, and blessings,
Alicia Magal
Rabbi Alicia Magal 
www.jcsvv.org
928 204-1286
"A Jewel of a Shul"

No comments:

Post a Comment