The World Celebrates Rabbi Marcia Prager

Rabbi Marcia Prager, an inspirational Jewish Renewal spiritual leader, teacher, guide, and colleague, has become a model for a new generation of lay and professional leadership. Through her, many of us have forged an intimate, passionate relationship with Judaism, with the divine in all of us, and thus, with each other.

The P'nai Or Philadelphia Jewish Renewal community is grateful that in 5772 (2011) R. Marcia celebrated 18 years of serving as our Rabbi-Chaver. In her honor, friends from around the world shared these many stories, poems, and loving tributes, to show our gratitude and naches at this wonderful milestone!



Smiles Light &, Love & Learning Upon Me


Rabbi Marcia

I am so Blessed to have found you and to hold you dear to me as “My Rabbi”.   I remember the time I first met you at P’nai Or Princeton Friday night Shabbat services.  Before services you walked over to me and said, “Hello, I’m Marcia” with your always welcoming smile.  I immediately felt right at home, not even realizing for a few moments,,this was You.  Even when by Friday night after a long week of work, and being tired,  I would somehow get up the energy to get to your Princeton Shabbat services, only to feel so energized and uplifted by your presence, your smile, your light, your love and your teachings. 

Your teaching is so straightforward and clear that suddenly concepts of prayers, Torah and Kabbalah that I had long been struggling with would come to me in that moment of understanding as the “light” would glow for me as the “vessels shattered” with the joy and fulfillment of learning from you.

 I remember your teachings from”The Path of Blessings” at the Nourish the Soul, Repair the World weekend in 2000,and several great weekends at Elat Chayyim.  I try to come to Philadelphia P’nai Or for Shabbos as often as I can.  The High Holidays are so much more meaningful to me when I am at your services.  Your light emanates to me and then I feel our prayers guide me to the heights to truly reach Hashem.

The most significant experience of my life was my trip to Israel with you, Jack and a wonderful group. What stands out at this moment is the place we stopped at overlooking Jerusalem to say special prayers before entering the Holy City for the first time.   My heart was bursting with Joy. All the learning and tourist traveling in Israel was so special.  The highlight was Pesach and the Seder in a glass room over looking Jerusalem.  It was my dream come true....”Next Year in Jerusalem” was happening!  You were leading the Seder and all was wonderful.  I remember the Pesach morning service Parsha and the unique way you explained the symbolism of the sacrifices so that I learned a little acceptance and the deeper meaning of them.

I admire your way with words as they flow so easily in your teachings and your ability of tactfully expressing what is proper for behavior and graciously guiding situations.  I am fortunate to have such a worldly role model as you.  Your Light, your smile, your love and your teaching will be with me always. 

Blessings,
Dianne Denenberg
         
        

No comments:

Post a Comment