The World Celebrates Rabbi Marcia Prager

Rabbi Marcia Prager, an inspirational Jewish Renewal spiritual leader, teacher, guide, and colleague, has become a model for a new generation of lay and professional leadership. Through her, many of us have forged an intimate, passionate relationship with Judaism, with the divine in all of us, and thus, with each other.

The P'nai Or Philadelphia Jewish Renewal community is grateful that in 5772 (2011) R. Marcia celebrated 18 years of serving as our Rabbi-Chaver. In her honor, friends from around the world shared these many stories, poems, and loving tributes, to show our gratitude and naches at this wonderful milestone!



A Fountain of Blessings

About 18 years ago it was our very good fortune that Reb Marcia agreed to some "lessons" with my daughters as part of our homeschooling program. I will never forget sitting there listening to her teach them "Baruch Atah Hashem" - "a Fountain of Blessings" is our Creator - that one teaching itself, as she drew the "fountain" in their large sketch books, is an image that is forever sealed in my memory. It  transformed my experience of davvennen and meditation and stays alive inside me to this day; It is a concept that people of all religions whom I work with in therapy, find uplifting, strenghening, and transformative.  


And this is only one of many teachings from Reb Marica that have informed my journey both in my personal and my professional work.   With my girls, as she drew her magic in their large sketch books and encouraged them to dialogue with her, I could see that Marica was an amazingly gifted teacher.  I have been blessed to take many classes with Marcia at the Life Center, Aleph Kallot, and Elat Chayyim,  where I repeatedly experienced her warmth, wisdom, creative energy and charismatic presence.   

I am so deeply grateful for our friendship, for all that I have learned from her, and for her deep and enduring commitment to her work.  Mazel TOV!

 Barbara Grinnell

No comments:

Post a Comment