The World Celebrates Rabbi Marcia Prager

Rabbi Marcia Prager, an inspirational Jewish Renewal spiritual leader, teacher, guide, and colleague, has become a model for a new generation of lay and professional leadership. Through her, many of us have forged an intimate, passionate relationship with Judaism, with the divine in all of us, and thus, with each other.

The P'nai Or Philadelphia Jewish Renewal community is grateful that in 5772 (2011) R. Marcia celebrated 18 years of serving as our Rabbi-Chaver. In her honor, friends from around the world shared these many stories, poems, and loving tributes, to show our gratitude and naches at this wonderful milestone!



A Chip Off the Old Block of Her Father

 I first met Reb Marcia in 1997 at an Aleph Kallah.  Her magic as a teacher instantly grabbed me.  An authentic unusual presentation style with huge heart and mystical content.  Quite a combo.  After Kallah I went back to my then hometown, saddened by the absence of the amazing energy that I had just dipped into. I knew I'd be back. I just didn't know when.  

For years following, I attended Kallah, Ruach Ha'aretz, basically anything eco-Jewish that I could get my hands on and do work trade for.  It was in Colorado at O'hala Kesher Young Leaders Shabbatone that I sat on the floor at Marcia's feet in a Buddhist shteebl ornately adorned with maroon and orange wall hangings. Reb Zalman had sent us on this wild mission there, to unite the forces of the Jew-Bu's and the coyotes at several thousand feet above sea level.  Still Marcia seemed grounded as she talked about the infinite One.  

Years later I decided to pour my heart out to the "rabbi" as I inquired if I too could become ordained through Aleph. Of course any self doubts I had, she assured me it would be fine and the program would welcome my presence. I've since realized that she does this for so many; I was not special in receiving her arms-wide-open approach.  She is able to do this for so many, and at crucial times in their journey when 'Yes' is precisely what we long to hear.


You would think that rabbi, teaching, partnering with talented Chazzan Jack, authoring a book, counseling people on family matters would be enough.  To that we could say Diyanu.  And to that I did say Diyanu when I decided to move from the west coast to Mt Airy in 2004 to live and be closer to renewal minded chevre on a daily basis. The annual conferences wasn't enough anymore. I wanted to live it day in and day out. 

And now, years later, I can now call Marcia not only a teacher but also a friend and my landlord.  She is my landlord because she knows that the land belongs to the Lord.  She is also a great landlord because she is of course fair, ethical, and compassionate in business matters.  


But I have something to share with everyone which may not be well known about Marcia- her skills stretch far beyond chumash and kaballah and davenning training.  She is a chip off the old block of her architect father as she scrapes away at old window panels, or sands doors, or refurbishes fire places, or installs new bathroom sinks.  This Jewish woman knows how to roll up her sleeves and get her hands dirty in ways that I've never seen before. It is unprecedented and remarkable. And to be commended. She seems to love to throw on a pair of old sweats, paint smudges and all, toss on a face mask and get to work with brushes and bricks in hand.  It is amazing to me that someone could have such wide-ranging skill set.  She can beautify spaces in the physical world just as she calls them down from the heavens in the spiritual world. 

And not only that, but she can coordinate logistics from many angles and manage multiple voices in the process. The patience and chesed that extends forth in order to create a mishkan wherever she goes is wide reaching. 

 Reb Marcia, may you feel the fruits of your labors inside and out.  May you know that you are appreciated.  And may you cultivate the gevura needed to remind you which tasks are most important and when.  

Thank you for all you do. 
Blessings for at least another 18 years of life and leadership.


Love, Aviva Perlo, Cheshvan 5772/Nov 2011 

No comments:

Post a Comment