The World Celebrates Rabbi Marcia Prager

Rabbi Marcia Prager, an inspirational Jewish Renewal spiritual leader, teacher, guide, and colleague, has become a model for a new generation of lay and professional leadership. Through her, many of us have forged an intimate, passionate relationship with Judaism, with the divine in all of us, and thus, with each other.

The P'nai Or Philadelphia Jewish Renewal community is grateful that in 5772 (2011) R. Marcia celebrated 18 years of serving as our Rabbi-Chaver. In her honor, friends from around the world shared these many stories, poems, and loving tributes, to show our gratitude and naches at this wonderful milestone!



A Taste of Honey

When I shook hands with you that day in 1991 as a way to say that I wanted to live in your third floor bedroom, I didn’t know that I would be gaining a friend, teacher, Rabbi, fun person to be around, sharer of good times, sharer of sad times, family naches and family tsoris.

I have watched in blessed awe your transformation from  being ‘one of the leaders’ to a leader of leaders. Your power lies not only in your accomplishments, but in your vision of a Jewish life filled with meaning that is a birthright for all who care to claim it. I have seen you bring to the fold those who had no background, and those who had the most traditional and substantial Jewish education. I have seen you mesmerize a room with your exquisite storytelling. And I have seen you sitting on your front porch with the cats being a Jew on Shabbas-resting, schmoozing, refreshing your own humanity.

One precious time with you began, as many do, at your kitchen table preparing for the High Holidays. We sat with the Mahzor, the litury for the High Holydays, and page by page, you gave me the insights into the whole arc of the davennin’. As you spoke, each song, each prayer, each word, each letter became like the sweet taste of honey on apples to me.  I felt in that moment like I had 'stolen' a secret from the Rebbe, yet knew that anyone who sits with you comes away with the same feeling.

I
The High Holiday Kitchen Minyan
So, what a delight to be with you in Elul 5771, several years later sharing those same mystical teachings with a group learning about the music of the High Holidays. We veired ever so gently into teachings about the Kaddish, and I witnessed, with your skillfull guidance, someone find a loving relationship with the soul of a parent that he had long ago given up hope on.

In the same way, you  gave me great consolation at a  time of enormous grief and spiritual dilemma as I struggled to create a meaningful shiva after my mother’s death.  Your advice helped me to create some moments of calm in a tumultuous time.


For the past 18 years, my creativity has been elevated, prodded and nurtured by your imagination and imaginings. The Mezuzah hanging, Havdalah and L'ev B'omer party in my own home was one of these times when the spark of the divine was clearly in the air.

So happy you have been there to guide the way.

Todah rabah and mazel tov

Tobie Hoffman

No comments:

Post a Comment