The World Celebrates Rabbi Marcia Prager

Rabbi Marcia Prager, an inspirational Jewish Renewal spiritual leader, teacher, guide, and colleague, has become a model for a new generation of lay and professional leadership. Through her, many of us have forged an intimate, passionate relationship with Judaism, with the divine in all of us, and thus, with each other.

The P'nai Or Philadelphia Jewish Renewal community is grateful that in 5772 (2011) R. Marcia celebrated 18 years of serving as our Rabbi-Chaver. In her honor, friends from around the world shared these many stories, poems, and loving tributes, to show our gratitude and naches at this wonderful milestone!



Gentleness, Graciousness & Genuine Caring

I have had Rabbi Marcia as a rabbi for approximately fifteen of her eighteen years with us -- first at P'nai Or Princeton, then at P'nai Or Philadelphia. In all sincerity I cannot laud her too highly.

What stands out the most for me is that Rabbi Marcia is the very soul of gentleness, graciousness, and genuine caring. She chooses her words carefully in order to communicate complete acceptance of others and so as not to cause anyone discomfort. On those occasions when I have brought a problem or concern to her, she has always listened, with all her attention and all her concern and a complete caring. On those occasions when I have called her with a concern, not once has she said that she does not have the time. She listens with a completeness which I have rarely if ever encountered and which is an example to us all.

Unfortunately we live in a society in which these qualities are in short supply and not as highly valued as some others. Sometimes they are failing even among clergy, who of all people should be expected to have them. I have always tried to remain aware of how fortunate I am in this area.

There are many other of Rabbi Marcia's outstanding qualities about which I could kvell: the profoundly spiritual atmosphere she creates when she leads services, her talents in teaching spiritual practices to others, her all-encompassing commitment to a traditional Judaism which is integrated with some very up-to-date concerns. But the above is what for me stands out first and foremost.

I would like to give one more example of the loving spirit of this very special lady. One Friday morning I was admitted to the hospital and was very disappointed that I would be missing that evening's Kabbalat Shabbat service. I called Rabbi Marcia and said, "It would be great if you would have have the chance to visit me sometime today, but if not, I'll understand." Marcia and Jack came by that afternoon, and they did more than just visit; they did an entire mini-service, at my hospital bed, complete with Jack's guitar accompaniment. How many rabbis and hazzans, or clergy of any kind, would have such a powerful caring for their congregants?


One of the spiritual practices which has always been important for me is that of counting my blessings. Rabbi Marcia is a significant one of them.

David Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment